- On July 17, 2021
Montréal, 13 JULY 2021 – The International Partners for Aviation Development, Innovation and Sustainability (iPADIS) and the Latin American Civil Aviation Commission (LACAC) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) that establishes a framework for mutual cooperation on the future sustainable development of civil aviation in Latin America.
“This timely agreement reflects our shared objective of ensuring the continued contribution of air transport to economic growth and social progress throughout Latin America, especially as the air transport industry recovers from the disastrous impact of the COVID 19 pandemic”, commented Dr. Olumuyiwa Benard Aliu, founding President of iPADIS.
“Of paramount importance for iPADIS is that aviation related policies and programmes at the international, regional and national levels incorporate the views and interests of all users and meet the needs and expectations of civil society”, he added.
“The global crisis we all face reminds us most emphatically that, without cooperation, it will be impossible to recover from the pandemic and ensure the continued economic and social development of our respective countries. In that context, LACAC is focused on all efforts aimed at a revitalized and future-oriented civil aviation sector”, indicated Mr. Armando Daniel, President of LACAC.
The iPADIS-LACAC agreement focuses on seven specific air transport areas:
1. Development of international civil aviation in the Latin American region and globally in an innovative, sustainable, and socially responsible manner;
2. Environmental sustainability of the aviation industry;
3. Progressive aviation technologies, including: drones; urban air mobility; electric, hydrogen and solar powered aircraft; e-passports, e-commerce, bio-metrics and other digitization process; cyber security; block-chain; and artificial intelligence;
4. Youth development and gender equality in international civil aviation;
5. Accessibility to persons with disabilities, humanitarian assistance, and prevention of sexual harassment, unruly behaviors, human trafficking, transport of illicit substances and endangered species;
6. Robust protection for the rights of consumers, victims of accidents, and the general public; and
7. Overall advocacy efforts to promote aviation as an indisputable enabler of sustainable development and the achievement of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
LACAC was established by the Statute of the Latin American Civil Aviation Commission done in Mexico City, 14 December 1973 with the primary objective of providing the civil aviation authorities of the member States an appropriate framework within which to discuss and plan all the required measures for cooperation and coordination of all their civil aviation activities. It fosters and supports orderly development and better utilization of air transport within, to, and from Latin America.
iPADIS is an independent, international non-governmental organization (NGO) of public and private partnerships. It operates on a not-for-profit basis to lead effective advocacy for positive change in the global aviation industry. It actively promotes the development of international civil aviation in an innovative, sustainable and socially responsible manner.
For more information:
Name: Denis Chagnon
Office: +1 (438) 580 7807
Name: Jaime Binder
Office: (+51) 14226905, (+51) 14229367